Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Our wonderful nightlife

The other day I had the change to explore our wonderful nightlife in our magnificent metropolis called Uithoorn. Well, the part about the metropolis should be taken with a pinch of salt. Our town is not really that big, it is kinda average, and has 26,951 residents. if you wanna see what I am talking about, look at Google Earth. Find Amsterdam, and go a bit south, about 20 km. There you find Uithoorn, next to the water.

Why am I telling you this? Because, the first part of my first sentence is actually correct, to my big surprise. For our relatively small town, we have quite a nightlife, and in such a diversity. And all this in an area of about 1 square kilometer.
There is a snooker bar, where you can shoot some pools or play the more sophisticated game of snooker. On one hand side is a bar, which I am not really that familiar with, but I think it's one of those bars which only thrives on the business of the regulars. On the other side is a bar, which is popular among the local youth, where they play the latest songs. A bit further, along the water you find a bar, which you can categorize in the typical dutch "bruine cafe", a brown cafe where all the dutch tearjerkers are being played, and the atmosphere can be described as a bit Amsterdam-ish. Right next to it you can find a bar, which is more to my liking, where all the classic rock songs are being played: Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, Carlos Santana, well,....all the general guitar hero's. Around the corner, in an old station there are several types of bars, which still need some exploring.
And all this is completed with no less than 2 (!) Shoarma restaurants. For those not living in Holland, Shoarma is the national food for those who just rolled out of a bar, with more alcohol than blood in his/her veins.

I must say that in general the nightlife in every town and city is quite exciting. Already in the smallest village there is a cafe (usually next to the church). Also everything is usually within walking distance from each other. When you look at Amsterdam, there are 2 main areas where it all is happening: the Leidseplein and the Rembrandtplein. All bars and discos are in walking distance, which makes club hopping so much easier.

The town where I used to live, a few kilometers down the road, also has a pretty interesting nightlife. When I was kid, the first times I went out with a friend of mine, was to a bar, with a fairly notorious reputation. Bar-fights and knife swinging were more common than rare. Well, what can you expect in the hillbilly town where I grew up.
So, no wonder that my mom always layed awake till I finally came home. And much to her relief always by bike instead of an ambulance.
Later there came another bar-dancing here, which became our local hangout every Friday and/or Saturday evening. And even though things may have become a bit ugly sometimes, it never got out of hand. Thanks to the harsh and strict door-policy. What also may have helped is that the people running the place were friendly and well-respected people, and no-one wanted to have that place closed down.

Oh, now I came to the subject anyway, there is one experience I will always remember one time a friend of mine and me went to a discotheque on a small neighbouring town. Well...town,...3 houses and a church. When we arrived at that bar, I swear, there were 2 police cars, standing outside, with one of them the officers inside, 2 police officers were standing at the door talking to 2 bouncers on the outside door. On the inside door, there were 2 more bouncers, there you had to pass through a metal detector, and once you came in the actually disco, there were 2 more bouncers standing near the exit. Besides that army strategically positioned near the doors, there were around 3 more walking around "patrolling" the place. So...count with me...I have counted no less then 9 bouncers. Well.. ..I must say, that this was another one of those hillbilly places, with a very bad reputation. Ever since the opening, there has been a fight almost every weekend, mostly between youth from rivaling towns.

Anyway, apart from these places, things are quite nice around here. I haven't heard about anything bad happening, in the 8 years that I live here.

Another fun thing here is that every year the above mentioned bars organize a street festival. There are live stages scattered all around town, bars are build outside, and you can just stand outside, listen to live bars, while enjoying your beer. And not only Uithoorn, but the neighbouring town of Aalsmeer is also doing it. In fact they started it. And now it has grown to events the villagers are looking forward to the whole year. It usually is around August or September. So, if you happen to be visiting Holland, either send me an e-mail asking about it, or check your hotel for the music festivals. It really is worth it!

2 comments:

jurmei said...

It's really different from Taiwan. Where I used to live when I was little, there is no such place at all . I think most of my friends have never been to a bar before 22. Maybe some of them are still never.
I guess you miss going out with friends?

klini said...

As a matter of fact, yeah, I do go out once in a while. Maybe not anymore like when I was a kid, like getting drunk, hang out in a bar, check out the local "wildlife", getting high.
But I sure would love to just go out, shoot some pool, or just talk over a glas of beer. But life has changed, people have different interests, needs, etc.