Wednesday, January 03, 2007

View on Taiwan: To love and to hate


Every 3 post or so, you may find a post that is about Taiwan. I got the idea to write about Taiwan, when I stayed there for four months to recover from a depression, after a burnout. I went there on my wife's advice, to see how it was to live (and survive) in Taiwan. This was because I was driving her crazy, by saying a lot how I wanted to move to there (my wife is Taiwanese). I wrote these pieces to send home to the wife and family to let them know I was doing just fine.

I have to make a note, that these articles have been written in the period between 2003 and present, and some things might have changed already. Also, there might be pieces missing, which will be filled in later.
And, even though I will try to give everyone credit for for photo's and such, it might be possible that I have missed someone. If you find your picture in here, please send an e-mail to jcvanrenssen@yahoo.co.uk and I will make sure you will be credited for it or take it down. Also, the pictures I have put up here are just to try to make things more clear, just to emphasise things or just for the fun of it. However, if you think you have a better, more clear, or a funnier picture about that topic, feel free to send it in. Maybe I will post it here. For some topics I am asking for pictures too, since I don't have them. These are also more than welcome.
I hope you will enjoy reading this. I also hope that those who have never been there, will still read this. And if you have any questions, remarks or just comments, feel free to leave a message.

Just like every country, Taiwan has it's habits which might look strange to foreigners. Still, those are often the things that makes a visit to, or living in those countries so interesting. I will try to point out and explain those habits here. Of course I won't know all the details and the deeper thoughts of certain things. Therefore you shouldn't really take things that serious. This is nothing more than the way I see these things.
Oh, and the subtitle would be easy to understand, if you ever have lived in Taiwan, for a short or long period of time.
For me, I always have mixed feelings about Taiwan. When I am there, I always enjoy walking around there, take a sniff on the strange, mystical culture, try all the different food. Still there are also things that can really piss me off. The always present crowds, lack of privacy (especially for a foreigner), the traffic, the language difference, etc.
And still, whether it is when I am there, or when I am back in Holland, I see that the pleasure, and even the aggrevation, are part of the charm of the country. And, even though I never expected it, every time I am back in Holland, I miss Taiwan and even feel a bit homesick. And I hope, that when you read on, you will understand why. And then you will also understand the title.

Maybe I should write down some facts about Taiwan, for those who do not know where it is situated, and/or those who love to gain information about things, which they will never use in the future anyway.
Taiwan is an island in the Pacific Ocean, between China, Japan, and the Phillipines. It is roughly the same size as Holland, but there are 23 million people living there. This means it can be pretty crowded, every now and then. You can devide the island roughly in 3 parts: the western relatively "flat" part, the middle part with the mountain range, and the small coastal strip in the east.
The capital is Taipei in the Northwest, where there are 2,9 million people living, in the city alone. Count Taipei County as well, and you will have 3 million more.
The second city is Kaoshiung in the south, with approximately 1.5 million people. And last but not least, there is Taichung, which is the third city with roughly 800,000 people. This is where my wife YuMei was born, and this is where I spend the 4 months. Therefore the most things mentioned are about this city, unless otherwise stated.
The currency they use is the New Taiwan Dollar (NTD). The exchange rate is at this moment (03 january 2007) Eur 1.00 = 42.650 NTD.



The island is a democracy, and has an elected president, at the moment it is Chen Shui Bian. And even though it is a multiple party democracy, there are only 2 parties really important: the KMT (the KuoMinTan, the party that started it all) and the DPP (Democratic Progressive Party), the party that runs the show at the moment (but not for long anymore, I hope).

The way Taiwan started

I could write down about Taiwan started on which tectonic plates, which dinosaurs walked around there, and who was who in the 13th till 17th century, etc. But basically I think you don't really care, and to be honest, neither do I. Also, I don't know that kind of stuff. But I would like to tell you about the things I know (or looked up), and what is worth telling.

Like the following: Taiwan arose because of a civil war in mainland China. In 1895, war was raging between Japan and China about who owned the rights to the Korean peninsula. Japan won that war with ease over China, and gained control over Korea. And just trew in Taiwan as added bonus. This much to the dislikes of China and the Taiwanese citizens.
Japan ruled firm and fiercefully.

Meanwhile in China, the system of the dynasties has stopped in 1911, and Sun Yat-sen declared the Republic of China.

In 1916 Yuan Shihkai made an attempt to reinstall an emperor. This failed, and a vulnerable peace returned to China.
This was secured by Chiang Kai Shek and his Kuomintang (KMT), although there was a constant treat by the Japanese and the communist rebels.

In the Second World War the KMT and the communist rebels fought side by side against the Japanese surpression. As you all know the USA won this war.

After the war it was business as usual for the KMT and the communists as they fought against eachother again. However, in 1949 the KMT realised that they started to lose this war, and decided to pack their things and leave. The whole KMT and their families, about 600,000 soldiers and 900,00 civilians, crossed the Taiwan Straits to Taiwan, which has been handed back to China after the war. At that moment there were 6 million people living in Taiwan, and they saw their number rising with 1,5 million.
Of course the communists on the mainland didn't like it one bit, and try to regain control over Taiwan through an invasion. This was pushed back, partly bcos of the presence of the US in the Taiwan Straits.

After this the KMT started to rebuild the economy, which has made a enormous downfall because of all those years of war. Because of this rebuilding, Taiwan became one of the "Asian Tigers" in the '60's and even in present days it is this rebuilding that echoes in the present economy.

No comments: