Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Telesales

The other day I was surfing the net for just anything and nothing, when I came across an ad for the greencard lottery from the US government. Since I always liked a gamble every now and then, and I know this lottery is free, or at least I think it is, I decided to register myself. So, I filled in the form, and pressed continue. And there it was, page 2, with all the prices for a one time deal up to a 4 year subscription. Since I don't wanna pay for something that is free, I closed the page, and forgot about it.
One hour later I got a call from that same company, who had seen that i filled in my details. And they were like sharks. No matter what I did to loosing them, including hanging up, they just wouldn't let go. Just when I was about to get nasty myself too, they apparently realized that I wasn't biting, and a not really friendly manner was the conversation ended.
Annoyingly enough the same thing has happened to me before with a well-known dutch company. And this was probably an even worse violation of my privacy then here above mentioned.
I was checking the Wanadoo homepage, since we were thinking about changing provider. I had to fill in one of those zip-code locator and my housenumber, to see if they have service in this area. Next day I got a call from Wanadoo. They called bcos they saw that I have been checking their site and had a special offer for me. Them calling me, meant that they had found my telephone number through the locator I HAD to fill in, in order for me to continue to the next page. I found that the worst case of privacy violation I have ever seen.
Anyway, I don't know how it is in other parts of the world, but in Holland the business of telemarketing is booming, and at the same time driving everyone nuts.
Talking of telemarketing, I found this site the other day, this is so funny: http://howtoprankatelemarketer.ytmnd.com/

No comments: