Saturday, January 27, 2007

Things I would miss about Holland

As some of you already know, I am looking for a job, and as I already wrote before (in my post "Homesick") I have been sending out some open applications to companies in Taiwan. To my surprise 2 companies responded positively to my letter. Well.....I'll tell you all about this in another post. The thing is, that this has made me think about, what I would miss when I would be living away from Holland. I will just start and see how long this list will become. Maybe there will be additional posts afterwards.

Things I'd miss about Holland:

1) First of all my family and friends
2) Real middle eastern Shoarma
3) Dutch liquorice (drop), especially the "harlekijntjes" van Kruidvat
4) The butcher (or greengrocer, or whatever) around the corner, the one that knows you by name, and is always quick with a joke. I guess everyone has one of those here.
5) The wednesday morning market
6) Uithoorn (the town we live in)
7) Dutch and/or English tv-programs
8) Feeding ducks with Alec
9) The endless discussions in the politics over nothing (here, miss should be with big "")
10) Cheese
11) The "brown" cafe's
12) Meat rolls (kroketten) and the MacKroket from McDonalds
13) The spontaneous trips to Belgium and Germany
14) Amsterdam
15) The western music on the radio especially City FM (and I don't mean Country & Western)

This is the list so far, and except for the first one, they are in random order. I have the idea that there are still a few missing, but I will post them once I remember them.

6 comments:

Dion said...

Hi Jurgen,

I think you will miss that one day of snow, that we used to have once long forgotten, and throwing snowballs with Alec :-) But than again, due to the current global warming, we might never see real snow again!

Greetings,
Dion

klini said...

I already forgot what snow looks like, but yeah, now you mention it, I would miss that too, that one day every 2 years.

Anonymous said...

Ja. Amsterdam zou ik dus het meeste missen! Ik zit er nu ook ver vandaan maar heb af en toe wel heimwee en zou er wel weer eens rond willen struinen!
Ook het gemoedelijke van de groenteboer om de hoek die jou kent is natuurlijk leuk en zo zijn er honderd en een dingen te bedenken die je dan weer aan het denken zetten voor wat betreft het onderwerp Taiwan. Al heeft dat ogetwijfeld ook weer positieve kanten !!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
Have you heard of mountains? Which is much higher than the small hill down south. And it snows on mountains!!!

Dion said...

Mountains, those things that block your view? :-) Just kidding, you are totally right, however I never saw the snow covered mountains in Taiwan.

klini said...

One more thing I forgot to mention: Heineken!